Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bears in San Diego County

There are some. What do you know! No I didn't see any, but i was just doing some research to see if there are any in the Ventana or Santa Lucia Wilderness, and according to DFG there are.


They're mostly in the mountains, but hey, this could still happen. From the Nine Commandments.


You SoCal outdoorspeople might be chuckling to yourself that I'm surprised by this, but what can I say. When I first looked at this map I thought the CA Department of Fish and Game's map, which I thought was being overenthusiastic - for example, they have all of Marin County as bear territory, and to my knowledge there was has been one unconfirmed bear sighting in Point Reyes in recent history.

But here are sightings, tree-ings and cooler break-ins (including Julian and Ramona) through 2000.


From CA DFG.

2 comments:

dbonfitto said...

No homework?

Michael Caton said...

I missed including that, except it turns out that's not on the internet! Technology has failed.