Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mountain Lion Kill in Point Reyes

I wish I had a picture of this for you, but you'll just have to settle for print. Today, about a half mile from the trailhead at Pierce Point Ranch in Point Reyes, I came upon an obvious mountain lion kill. Large portion of the rump gone, as well as most of the flesh around the head and neck (which appeared broken). The meat was still bright red. I reported this to the park service through their website since I didn't want to assume someone else already had. Oddly, I had to snail-mail in a form, which I grudgingly did. Maybe that's just a hoop the Park Service sets to keep people from sending in bogus reports.

In closing: given the consumption pattern on the deer, it seems the lions really do, as I often say, eat your face.

No comments: